With nearly 1,000 miles of beach in the Sunshine State, it may surprise you to know that St. George Island, off of Florida’s Forgotten Coast, has won the title of “Best Beach.”
Going to the beach is America’s favorite summertime activity. And one of those beaches includes pristine white sand, calm waters, abundant wildlife, and ample amenities.
St George Island State Park boasts 1,962 acres of just that and was named the best in the US by coastal expert Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman (aka Dr. Beach). So, let’s discuss the Island Beach Off Florida’s Forgotten Coast Dubbed ‘Best Beach’ by Dr. Beach.
Where is St. George Island in Florida?
According to Leisure + Travel, Dr. Leatherman explained, “St. George State Park boasts some of the finest, whitest sand in the world,” adding, “The park has nine miles of unobstructed, pristine beach with crystal clear and clean turquoise water.”
Though often missed, this part of the so-called “Forgotten Coast” of Florida is located southwest of Tallahassee. It features beautiful beaches, calm waters, and barely 1,000 permanent residents. Also notable is that there is no substantial real estate or commercial developments to speak of in the area.
How to Get to St. George Island
Traveling to St George Island from Atlanta is fairly basic and takes roughly five hours depending on how often you stop. I-75 South is the preferred route down to Florida. It takes you through Macon, GA.
- Get on I-75 S/I-85 S from Memorial Dr. SE, Washington St SW, and Pulliam St SW
- Follow I-85 S, I-185 S, and US-27 S till you get to GA-97/Faceville Hwy in Bainbridge. Take the GA-97/Faceville Hwy exit from US-27 S
- Continue on GA-97/Faceville Hwy to Gadsden County
- Turn left onto US-90 E
- Follow FL-65 S to US-319 S/US-98 W in Franklin County
- Turn right onto US-319 S/US-98 W
- Continuing on Big Bend Scenic Byway Coastal Trail. Drive to W Bay Shore Dr
The closest airport is the Tallahassee Regional Airport, located approximately 75 miles east of St. George Island. You can also fly into Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport in Panama City. But that’s a bit further about 100 miles west of St. George Island.
Things to Do on St. George Island
The obvious answer is to go to part of St George Islands nine miles of beautiful beach. But there are other entertaining things to do while you’re on the island. Below we’ve listed a few.
- St. George Island Lighthouse is a 72-foot-high brick lighthouse. It originally stood for 153 years. Unfortunately, the original collapsed into the Gulf of Mexico on October 22, 2005. Pieces of the original lighthouse were retrieved and used in the new construction that was completed in 2008. Inside you’ll find a gift shop as well as a museum.
- Journeys of St George Island – Taking a fishing charter off the coast of St George Island is a great way to experience the best St George Island has to offer – great fishing.
- Blue Parrot Ocean Front Café – if you’ve worn yourself out with the sun and sand, stop for some fresh seafood at the Blue Parrot. Here you can sip cocktails and eat fresh oysters, all while sitting in the ocean air and watching the sunset.
Stay up to speed on all the hot spots and sweet destinations. Return to Travel Hop regularly for all the latest travel news and updates.